Layla is a ♀ girl’s name.
What is the origin of the name Layla?
Layla is a name of Arabic origin, but also a Scandinavian name (from Aila). Besides, Layla is a name of Finnish origin.
What does the name Layla mean?
Layla means “night” (from Arabic “layla/لَيْلَة”) and “blessed” or “holy” in Scandinavian (from Old Norse “heilagr”). In Finnish or Sami, Layla means “wise”.
Layla can also be spelled Leyla, Leila and Laila. Other less common spellings are Lajla, Laylah, Lyla, Lylah, Lailah or Laylla. Anagrams for Layla are Allya and Layal.
Popular nicknames for Layla are Lala, Lay, Lally, Lali, Lila and Lill.
Famous people named Layla
- American actress Layla Roberts (born 1974) was playmate of the month October in 1997.
- English sports news anchor Layla Anna-Lee (born 1983) is actually named Layla Machado Garry.
- Former WWE wrestler *Layla El** (born 1977) works as a model and dancer.
- Irish Reality TV personality Layla Flaherty (born 1983) also works as a model.
- Daughter of famous boxer Muhammad Ali, Layla Ali (born 1977), is also a boxer.
Fictional characters named Layla
- A main character on the CW TV show “All American” is called Layla Keating, played by Greta Onieogou.
- In season two of the cartoon series “Winx Club”, Princess Layla is the newest member of the Club. She is voiced by Keke Palmer.
- Layla Heartfilia is the mother of protagonist Lucy Heartfilia in the anime “Fairy Tail”.
- On the TV show “Nashville”, Layla Grant is part of the main cast, played by Aubrey Peeples.
- In the 2005 movie “Sky High”, Layla Williams was part of the main cast. She was played by Danielle Panabaker.
Pronunciation of Layla
Variants of the name LaylaLaila Laylah Laïla Lyla Lylah
Popularity of the name Layla
The name Layla is ranked #311 overall.
Layla in the Top 50 Names