Miguel is a ♂ boy’s name.
What is the origin of the name Miguel?
Miguel is a Portuguese and Spanish variant of the biblical name Michael, which is of Hebrew origin.
What does the name Miguel mean?
Miguel means “who is like God?” (from Hebrew “Mikha’el/מִיכָאֵל” or “mí/מִי” = who + “k’/כְּ־” = like/as + “el/אֵל” = God).
The Catalan variant for Miguel is Miquel. A female form is Miguela.
Nicknames for Miguel
Popular nicknames for Miguel are Mic, Micky, Mig, Migas, Mitch and Migu.
Famous people named Miguel
- Famous singer Enrique Iglesias’ full name is Enrique Miguel Iglesias (born 1975). He is best known for his song “Hero”.
- Spanish novelist Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1547 - 1616) is known for his novel “Don Quixote” (1605).
- Mexican-American author Miguel Méndez (1930 - 2013) wrote the novel “Peregrinos de Aztlán”.
- Miguel Tyson (born 2002) is the son of legendary boxer Mike Tyson (born 1966).
- American actor Miguel Pérez (born 1957) has worked on over 35 TV- and theater-productions.
Fictional characters named Miguel
- A Spanish race car in the animated Disney Pixar movie “Cars 2” is called Miguel Camino.
- Miguel Rivera is the 12-year-old protagonist of the Disney Pixar movie “Coco”. With the help of his great-great-grandfather Héctor he is trying to meet his Idol Ernesto de la Cruz.
- In the Netflix-Show “Cobra Kai”, Miguel Diaz, played by Xolo Maridueña (born 2001), is the main character.
Pronunciation of Miguel
Parents who like the name Miguel also likeLiam Luis Joel Levi Hunter Samuel Diego Miles Jason Julian Mason Maddox Antonio Victor Joshua Gabriel Owen Matthew Damian Brandon
Popularity of the name Miguel
The name Miguel is ranked #5260 overall.
Miguel in the Top 50 Names